Sunday, June 26, 2005

Week 3 Restaurant Roundup

On Monday, three of us took our "secretary mentors" to Bryant Park Grill for lunch. We summers have a theory that they are secretary mentors because the firm hopes it will keep us from abusing them. I don't know what's more disturbing: to have a secretary in the first place or to know that a summer in the past must have abused his/her secretary in order for them to try to correct for it with "mentor." I still haven't gotten used to it. Lunch was pretty good, and we had a beautiful spot outdoors. I had a grilled tuna steak and a warm apple crumb pie a la mode for dessert.

Tuesday brought us to Amma, a cute little Indian place tucked away on 51st between 2nd and 3rd. They had awesome lunch specials, so I would recommend this place highly for a bargain lunch package. I had the saag paneer and a wonderfully tasty rasmali for dessert. I want to know how to make rasmali!! It is SO good!

Wednesday was fun. A partner called me up and invited me to lunch. I felt so special! He's such a funny guy; he actually reminds me of the dad from "American Pie." We went to Django along with another summer. I loved the decor, and the food was really good. For my appetizer I had the sea scallops, and they were crazy awesome good. My entree was a beef "Toro" tarjine, a last minute choice that I made upon hearing what a tarjine was. For dessert, I had this incredibly artistic chocolate hazelnut mousse. It looked so amazing I almost didn't want to eat it!

On Thursday, I went to silverleaf tavern with the Real Estate group. I was super excited to get to know more of the Real Estate bunch because they rarely "do lunch." The restaurant was really fun, and their use of textures in decorating was unusual (in a good way!). The roasted salmon was delicious, and I had this amazing creme brulee, which I had them brown over twice (there must be a technical term for this!). Yes, I have a weakness for creme brulee.

Friday was the best. lunch. ever. Friday was my favorite lunch so far. We went to Jean-Georges, and my life changed. It was amazingly incredibly unbelieveable. The portions were perfect, and the service was gracious without being unaccessible. I had two dishes off of the tasting menu that day: a lobster with lychee and the veal, which was crazy awesome good. And, yes, I had veal. After having eaten Thumper my first week, you wouldn't expect me to think twice about Mary's Little Lamb, would you? I chose the "Exotic"dessert option, which was a pineapple cake and a fluffy, meringue-y, sorbet-y, I-have-no-clue-what-it-was-but-it-tasted-good coconut-shapped thing. This was my absolute favorite place so far. We'll see if next week's Nobu or Le Bernardin gives Jean-Georges a run for its money.

No comments: