Saturday, March 04, 2006

The Oscars Post

Since I've only seen one of the Best Picture nominees (Brokeback Mountain, EXCELLENT), I really have no authority to be picking Oscar winners. Oh well, that hasn't stopped me in the past. Here are my predictions for some of the more popular categories based solely on -- what else? -- BUZZ. Heck, I'll also throw in whom I'll be rooting for based solely on -- what else? -- complete and utter favoritism (mixed in with a dash of irrational caprice)!

Best Picture
Prediction: Brokeback Mountain
Although Crash has been getting a lot of talk lately, I think Brokeback is going to ride out the storm. Ride out. Get it? Get it? Too soon? Never mind, I'll save it for open mic night.
Cheerleader: Brokeback all the way!

Best Director
Prediction: Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain
This is more solid than the Best Picture prediction.
Cheerleader: Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain
And don't go spouting that Asians have to stick together...

Best Actor
Prediction: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
Haven't seen it. *shrug*
Cheerleader: Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain
What can I say? It was the only one I saw (and I loved it).

Best Actress
Prediction: Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line
Buzzzzzzzzzz...and *gag me* "sweetheart" factor.
Cheerleader: Felicity Huffman, Transamerica
Saw her on Oprah, and she is so gracious! Plus, that is a gutsy role to take for your big screen debut.

Best Supporting Actor
Prediction: George Clooney, Syriana
Iffy, they're all really strong, but you know Hollywood loves its eye candy.
Cheerleader: Jake Gyllenhaal, Brokeback Mountain
Why else?

Best Supporting Actress
Prediction: Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener
The Globes win, but she'll always be that girl in "Enemy at the Gates" to me. It seems like Hollywood could get feisty on these supporting categories, so I'll choose a random cheerleader...
Cheerleader: Amy Adams, Junebug
Just because I love the title of her film.

Best Adapted Screenplay
Prediction: Brokeback Mountain
Duh.
Cheerleader: Duh...

Best Original Screenplay
Prediction: Crash
It's set in LA and has a bunch of stars in it. It has to win something.
Cheerleader: The Squid and the Whale
No reason. Just 'cause.

Best Documentary
Prediction: Murderball
No reason, I just don't think it's as cut-and-dry as "March of the Penguins made a gazillion dollars." There ARE three strong (i.e. recognizable) contenders.
Cheerleader: March of the Penguins
But I sure do like those penguins...

Best Animated Film
Prediction: Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit
I'd say Howl's Moving Castle, but Hayao Miyazaki already won Best Animated Film for Spirited Away. Although Nick Park won animated short for The Wrong Trousers, the Academy will want to give him a "big boy" award for Best Animated Film. Also it was really cute, and the animation was a lot of fun.
Cheerleader: None really.

Okay, that's all I can justify posting for now. Back to learning about joint tenancies in real property.

1 comment:

Roonie said...

You made a lot of correct predictions, right on. Except one, big, gaping hole - Best Picture.

Excuse me while I cry all over again.