Sunday, August 07, 2005

This is Chinese Food?

On Wednesday last week we went to Chin Chin, a "fancy" Chinese place in Midtown. The company was wonderful, but the food itself was, shall I say, uninspired. I'd read many good things about the "Grand Marnier Shrimp" on all of the usual suspects (citysearch.com, menupages.com, etc.), so imagine my surprise when this much-lauded dish arrived and turned out to be (drumroll, please) shrimp-with-walnuts, minus the walnuts.

Yup, you heard me right, it wasn't just something that could easily be had at the local Chinese joint, but it was FAKE Chinese food on top of that! It was good, as shrimp-with-walnuts often is, but it wasn't anything to write home about. Plus, at $20, it was definitely not worth the money when the same amount would have bought at least three dishes in actual Chinatown. Ah well...I guess that's what I get for expecting Chinese food to be good outside of Chinatown.

I miss SF.

No comments: